Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can anyone explain this?..

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gakere's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all,

    When I run both the 15's and the horns on my A7's at moderate volume (bi-amped), let's say 95dB, everything sounds great, but when I run the horns by themselves at the same volume level, they sound very nasty and irritating to my ears (grainy), almost like they are working too hard?

    Really weird.

    Best regards,
    Pat

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Not working hard, they just have lots of 'coloration' due to material resonances and internal reflections that is really obvious without the masking effect of the more acoustically powerful lower fundamentals (assuming the two systems are tonally balanced).

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gakere's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM, I thought that's what it is, but then I started thinking about phasing plug distortion (whatever that sounds like...) or diaphragms out of alignment.

    Pat

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with GM. Another factor is that you may be running the h.f. section louder by itself than when the woofer is also playing. In general, it seems amazing when listening to the h.f. or l.f. sections of a two way system by themselves that they would ever sum together to sound as good as they do when played together.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got four 10 cell RCA horns out of my daughters gym and when I set them up in the family room, timmy and frazzeled. They were the 220 hz horns and I thought they would sound fine but noooo. When I hooked up a couple of PV W-woffers and cranked them up to the same level, they blew me out of the house. Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.